Here at Pearl Dental Practice and Beauty Salon we obviously offer tooth bleaching/ whitening as one of our services, and offer different methods of tooth whitening as appropriate for each case.
‘Laser’, Zoom or Britesmile bleaching
Are the dominant buzzwords in the public domain at present, and offer tooth whitening in around 60- 90 minutes.
Involves the use of custom fitted trays to apply the bleach to the teeth, with these being worn on a nightly basis for around 2-3 weeks.
Is a more complex bleaching system, but is very effective if undertaken correctly, and offers outstanding results. This technique is considerably more expensive than the standard bleaching systems.
To ensure that your tooth whitening experience is comfortable, effective, and safe:
- Never allow a non-dental professional to bleach your teeth. This has been researched by the EU, and the most recent directive advised that tooth bleaching/ whitening should ONLY be undertaken by dental professionals to ensure the safety of the procedure. TOOTH BLEACHING CAN BE DANGEROUS IF NOT CARRIED OUT CORRECTLY, AND WITH APPROVED AND RESEARCHED PRODUCTS.
- Ensure that your dental check-up is up to date, and that your dentist has checked the condition of your gums.
- Check the teeth in your smile line for old fillings, veneers, crowns and bridges, as these will not change colour with tooth whitening/ bleaching, and the cost to replace these can be far more than the bleaching itself. Consider a full smile design consult if you have several teeth that will require work after whitening, and this will ensure that you are fully aware of ALL the costs before you begin.
- If you’re planning to go for one of the 1 hour bleaching systems, ensure that CUSTOM MADE TRAYS are included in the cost, as the colour of the teeth after this type of bleaching is NOT stable, and WILL fade back to some degree. The trays allow for ‘topping-up’ of the bleaching process at home which helps stabilise the colour.
- NEVER try bleaching kits purchased online for ridiculously cheap prices. Some of these have been shown to be acidic formulations, which is bad, bad news for teeth. Only ever use approved bleaching systems.
- Don’t be fooled by the advertising. ‘Laser’ bleaching works, but it does not give a brighter colour than home tray bleaching; it can be very sensitive (in our experience, and that of many of my colleagues, approximately 75% of you will experience some pain with ‘Laser’ bleaching, with this being temporary, but potentially quite uncomfortable- see quote at end of this post), you need trays afterwards if you want the best colour, and it takes at least 90 minutes to do it properly. Any dentist or clinic telling you differently should be avoided. Deep bleaching is the only technique that may enhance the colour beyond that of standard tray bleaching.
- Enjoy your new smile! Follow the guidelines above, and tooth bleaching is one of the safest and most effective ways of improving your smile, so there is now no excuse for less than ideal Pearlys!
And to finish, here is a quote from one of the online forums regarding bleaching. Make sure that the dentist you see for your bleaching knows what he/ she is doing, and how to deal with pain if it arises.
Hi..my son had the laser teeth whitening treatment in Dublin city 3 weeks ago and had such a bad reaction (he thought he was going to pass out with the pain) he was sent home in a taxi having had painkillers administered. Be careful..it is obviously not for everyone. He had had a prior consultation and was told he was the perfect candidate i.e.no receeding gums and aged only 22.Apparently his reaction was “one in a million”.